Wednesday, November 2, 2011

India Style

Somewhere, right at very end of 80’s, just at the dawn of 1990, there arose an artist named MC Hammer (ie, Stanley Burrell). He introduced to the world “Hammer Pants”. I’m sure at the same time some Indian folk were looking on curiously saying, “Those look just like the pants we’ve been wearing for hundreds of years!” I too, like most kiddies of that era had three or four pair of Hammer’s so called Pants. I was actually a little shocked to hear his admittance on one Oprah show episode, that he, alas, was not the originator of the style, but that he had “borrowed” the idea. Mind you, I was only 10 years old, for crying out loud!  

Since the rise and fall of Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice and all those celebrities who dawned the popular attire back then, the look has cycled through many times, with such artists as Janet Jackson wearing a pair to the premiere of Why did I get married?, to stores like the United Colors of Benetton Selling them for astronomical prices. I even ran across an athletic attire site that pegs them as the most comfortable pants to work out in. The actual name of this traditional style of clothing, however, is Harem, not Hammer.

Harem pants or Harem trousers originated in India. They can be worn alone or with a pleated skirt over top. Although many people wear the pants the most notable activity for Harem pants is belly dancing. Harem pants are also worn as a part of the Punjabi suit for women. These fancy pants are actually more of a woman’s fashion rather than a man’s look, so it is ironic that Mr. Hammer adopted it. Of course in the Middle East and Turkey these pants are known by various different names and it is more common for males to wear them there.

I took a special hankering for the baggy trousers in 1990 and my love for them was reignited in their very birth place. I bought three pair while in India. They come in an array of colors, prints and solids, as well as different fabrics and textures. They were sold on the street for nothing more than pennies. One “high class” shop sold me a pair for $15.00. The other two pair I bought at a street bazaar for around four or five American dollars. But don’t even ask me to convert to rupees, my husband was charged with that task. I was charged with the task of buying.

Following are several photographs of Harem pants for those who may not be familiar with the style.

YesStyle.com $20.00  

ShopBop.com $120.00

 BCBG $113.00

 Belly Dancing Harem Pants

Belly Dancing Harem Pants
The belly dancing Harem pants above were found at MissBellyDance.com for under $30.00
Unlike most souvenirs collected from vacation, the Harem pants are a memory I can actually use. I have worn them several times already and plan to wear them for years to come!
My Very own Harem pants from Jaipur, India


Count Down to India is almost over...check back for a fun and interesting installment and find out where in the world our travels will take us next! Travel safely and travel smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment