Thursday, June 7, 2012

When you gotta go, you gotta go!!

I'll say it again (in my President Obama voice) "God bless the United States of America!"

It is good to go abroad and it is always good to be back home. I find that Europeans are not big on politeness and the niceties we Americans are taught from the womb, like “please” and “thank you”. If someone bumps you or steps on your toe, they usually just keep it moving. No pardon me, no excuse me, no con permiso or perdon. Nothing. They just walk on without a word or glance.

I also noticed that time moves slower over there. Not many people seem to be in a hurry. Numerous businesses close for the mid afternoon “siesta” and the banks…well the term “keeping bankers hours” took on a whole new meaning. Every major bank we passed had a “horario” or hours or operation from 8:30am to 2pm. One better get up early if they want to deposit their check or get some cash for the weekend. Get a late start and you are up a creek.

BUT there is one very interesting point to mention about Europe that I wish America would adopt as customary courtesy. Allow me to explain...
I noticed this practice most especially in Italy and France. These European countries have adopted a pay for public restroom use policy that threw me off initially, but that I found to be most refreshing once I understood it all. I found that most of the restaurants don’t have public restrooms. Those that do may have one stall with a line around the building. But on every corner or around the next bend there were plenty of “public restrooms” all manned with an attendant with a makeshift cash register and a sign that read 50 cents or 0.50 Euro.



Though our tour guide warned us of this practice before debarking to explore the city, I was so thrown off by this occurrence that I held IT…for a long while. I refused to pay for the common civility that every human should be offered. A restroom. Pay to use the toilet! Well I must have missed the memo, because everyone else seemed to be ok with paying. Those who did not grumble were all European though (or some other nationality). We few Americans were put off.

Against all my efforts to squeeze and think of something other than the beautiful crashing waves that we walked along side, my bladder forced this proud American to reach into her purse and pull out 0.50 Euro so that I could relieve myself.


Euros

To my pleasant surprise, the public restrooms were spotless, smelled fresh and didn’t make me want to vomit like some that I have been forced to use in the states and in other countries we have visited.
Was this bathroom Mecca a fluke? I thought so too initially. Maybe THAT one had not been used very often. After all, it was sort of off the beaten path. Not too much time passed when I had to go again and realized that this was typical. Clean, fresh restrooms were not atypical, but very usual.

I quickly came to the conclusion that if I had to pay 50 cents to use a clean bathroom, then by George, I was going to have to fit it into the budget. I assume the fee went to the attendant and the attendant with care and pride kept the facility presentable for patrons.


Euros

Interestingly enough, though the restrooms were clean, many did not have a toilet seat. Just the bowl. A clean bowl, but just a bowl nonetheless. Hey, when you got to go, you overlook certain things.

I have had to pay to use the restroom here in the states before. It was in L.A. at a McDonalds on the Walk of Fame. But there was no attendant collecting coins. There was just a lock that required you to insert a quarter to use the facility. I was just as out raged then as I was in Europe. Unfortunately, there was no silver lining. Once I paid the fee to use the restroom a horrid, smelly cesspool awaited. I decided to hold it and forfeit my 25 cents.


Up next, The Leaning Tower of Pisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment