Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Taste of India Part II

It is apparent that I love to eat! I could eat my way right through India, if not for the wonderful sights I have to stop and see along the way. As a matter of fact, the factors used to choose any of my vacation destinations are heavily based on the delectable cuisine of the country I want to visit. India was no exception. It sounded quite yummy. Well before our plans to visit India, I started a love affair with Indian food. With a vegetarian husband, Indian fare is a welcomed departure from gluten and soy based meat analogs. Besides the store bought and restaurant renditions of Indian food that I indulge in, I also have a few recipes up my sleeves. One such recipe is a hit at my house. Whether it is a dinner party or just our family, this dish brings a spicy smile to everyone’s lips (except Jeda’s; she supplies her own quota of spice, therefore prefers not to partake).

I named this dish Cauliflower & Curry; maybe the Indians would call it Gobi Masala. Whatever you decide to entitle it when you jot it into your recipe book, one thing you will surely call it once you taste it is DARN GOOD!
Simple Easy Recipe:
1.      1 head of cauliflower
2.      2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (get a good brand it will affect the flavor)
3.      1 can of tomato paste
4.      2 Golden Curry cubes
5.      Protein optional (I sometimes add veggie meat to make dish more hearty)
6.      1 table spoon of minced garlic (jar is fine if you don’t want to cut yourself and smell like garlic all day)
7.      ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (also optional, Golden Curry will add spice)
8.      ½ cup coconut milk (optional)
9.      Brown rice (make life easy, get the par-boiled variety or better yet the microwavable kind)
      Directions:
·         In a non-stick skillet bring two cups of broth to a simmer
·         Add coconut milk, tomato paste, minced garlic and golden curry cubes to simmering broth
·         If using a protein, add once above ingredients are thoroughly combined
·        Add cauliflower once protein is heated. If not using protein add cauliflower right after combining coconut milk, tomato paste garlic and cubes
·         Cook whatever protein until it is completely done through out
·         Sprinkle in cayenne pepper and mix until well combined
·         Serve on a bed of brown rice
               Ap ka khana svadista ho! बोन अप्पेतित

GOLDEN CURRY by S&B

You can find the above product in the international aisle of your grocery store


I am aware that the sodium content is high, so partake sparingly if you have health issues that could be aggrivated by salt, such as highblood pressure.






No comments:

Post a Comment