Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Saree or Sari, that is the question...

You learn something new every day. That is what “they” say, isn’t it? I actually would expand that to say I learn several new “things” throughout the day, (most of which are actually taught to me by a 4 year old). As I research to learn all I can about India, the perfectionist in me reads and re-reads previous passages that I have written, scouring them for accuracy. I want to make sure that everything I learn (and you learn) is accurate. Discrepancies can not only make for a dreadfully embarrassing moment, but misrepresentation (even unintentional) could potential lyoffend the much esteemed and highly treasured region that I fervently desire to pay tribute.
Case in point, in an earlier post the word saree appeared. This was the first way I saw it written. Yet, in fact, I discovered that there were indeed two ways to spell the word used to describe the beautiful piece of cloth worn by women of Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, India and several other regions.
Inquiring and researching has not yet revealed to me which term is the more proper or if there even is a more appropriate time to use one term over the other. Sources suggests that one term, saree, refers more to the fabric its self and what process was used to produce it or region it derives, where as the term sari seems to describe the complete garb or ensemble. This is what makes learning beautiful, it is not static. It is ever growing and ever moving. After all, we do learn something new every day. Stay abreast, earn more folds in your gray matter and let’s keep learning together. Want to take an interesting journey into all things sari or saree, check this out: http://www.sarisafari.com/sarifacts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment